Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    G-AVLN in front of her home

    G-AVLN in front of her home

    Mostly Unix and Linux topics. But flying might get a mention too.

    Thursday, September 25, 2008

    CD to disk file transfer on HP-UX

    After a long pause, and several projects later, I'm back getting ready our uxheaven.com (our back-room of variety of UNIX boxes, that will be used for training multi-vendor courses).

    Today, it's configuring HP-UX boxes: one is the B.11.11 U9000, the other B.11.23 on Itanium.

    Had to look up some of my old posts to fix various network settings, and I reckon the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file will now stay in my memory (sad - it takes few weeks and the detail is gone!).

    Once the network was fine, needed to add software from CDs, to a central repository of documents and future depot files. For the time being, all I need is to have it all on hard disk. Quick refresher on the process:

    1. Identify the special file for CD-ROM:

    # ioscan -funC disk

    showed it to be /dev/c1t0d0

    2. Create mount point directory
    I like the way Linux treats removable media, so my new mount directory became:

    # mkdir -p /media/cdrom

    3. Mount the disk:

    # mount -F cdfs /dev/c1t0d0 /media/cdrom

    4. Finally, create directory for the documents, and copy the CD content

    # mkdir /usr/doc
    # cp -rf /media/cdrom /usr/doc


    Ready for use...

    No comments:

    Blog Archive