Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    G-AVLN in front of her home

    G-AVLN in front of her home

    Mostly Unix and Linux topics. But flying might get a mention too.

    Wednesday, January 07, 2009

    Kiosk mode in Firefox

    I had a few e-mails from my local Linux User Group (NLUG, Northants LUG). Somebody asked for help in fixing Firefox. His browser lost all toolbars. An answer appeared within minutes: "F11? (Toggles kiosk mode)".

    Two thoughts went through my mind. First of all I remembered that I had the same problem some months ago, and never found the solution. In fact, it was at that point when I decided to investigate Opera (which I have been using ever since). Why didn't I ask the forum? I would probably have had the same answer within minutes!

    The other thought related to a question a delegate asked me only yesterday about a "kiosk mode" in an application. I regret to admit, but my answer was a rather ignorant "don't know anything about your application, so can't comment" statement.

    Will I ever learn? Not knowing anything about the 'kiosk' thing, I assumed the term was peculiar to the application the chap was talking about!

    So I'm feeling rather depressed. Not only is this questioning my style in interaction with delegates, but also exposing massive gaps in my knowledge - everybody I mentioned the "kiosk mode" since then knew about it. It seems I'm the only person in the Universe that thought a kiosk is a type of detached cabin selling newspepars and cigarettes...

    No comments:

    Blog Archive