Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    G-AVLN in front of her home

    G-AVLN in front of her home

    Mostly Unix and Linux topics. But flying might get a mention too.

    Thursday, July 03, 2008

    Stallman on Microsoft on BBC site

    Our NLUG (Northants Linux User Group) have been discussing the article, by Richard Stallman, published on the bbc site: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7487060.stm

    Richard Stallman is writing about. Having read it, I agree with most facts pointed out by Richard Stallman.

    However, I felt a bit uneasy reading it. I'm quite conversant with the terminology he is using, I'm familiar with technologies and legal events he is referring to. Would a typical reader be though? One of our group members said: "
    I think he is really preaching to the converted. We Open Source fanatics will agree; but the general public / PC users will probably not have a clue what he is talking about, they see the universality of Microsoft as an advantage."


    I wholeheartedly agree! Most PC users genuinely don't care about any of this.

    And I can't escape a thought that Stallman's powerful, albeit very eloquent, attack might end up being counter-productive as most people will not really understand what he is saying, instead, will interpret the article as a dogmatic expression of hate towards Microsoft.

    No comments:

    Blog Archive